Monday, February 16, 2015

Valentine's Day in Pinto Art Museum


Spent the entire afternoon of February 14 inside Pinto Art Museum. There were a lot of people inside, and most of them were couples - go figure.


Those celebrating being single during the day of hearts, also chose to brave the crowd in Pinto that day. Some were jejemons - opting to have their picture taken with artworks they probably don't even understand. Some were kolehiyalas who have bastardised Filipino and English to its all time low by attempting so hard to sound like a bulok Kardashian - pronouncing the kalabaw above as cal-ah-bahw. I apologise for the double negative on bulok Kardashian.


Regardless, being in Pinto was like returning to your one great love after so long. The time apart may have given you a different perspective on how you appreciate some of the artworks, but it doesn't change the fact that your love for the paintings there are just as great.

That's us by the way, trying to take advantage of the fact that the couples were out of sight.

So there's no need really to comment on the uniqueness of the art museum - that in itself is a different post, which I'm sure other bloggers have already noted, or the only thing other bloggers have noted.

So, I'll be sharing to you highlights of the afternoon in the museum. And how I tried so hard to put myself in the shoes of the artists to try to see if I could feel the emotion they must have had when they were painting.




Below is the famous Karnabal, made by Salingpusa - a collaboration of different artists, Elmer Bolognan being one of them.


Again, here's a snapshot of the following gallery - taking advantage of the absence of the couples.


This gallery contained a lot of Elmer Borlongans, part of the collection of Dr. Joven Cuanang.

One of my favourite pieces in the gallery is located here, it depicts a basketball game in a baranggay. Disclaimer, I do not like basketball, I just like the painting.


Geraldine Javier's Holy on Sundays also struck a note. Its an oil on canvas made in 1999. I love the negative painting technique.


Jose Tence Ruiz's Blu-Skreen Kotillion I thought looked a lot like Marie Antoinette.


Joven Mansit's School of Fish really looked like a  vintage photograph, had it not been for the seafood, I would have thought it was an actual photograph. 


Neil Manalo's Prusisyon really seemed like its candles would glow in the evening light. 


Winner Jumalon's painting of Dr. Cuanang's doctor's bag and the actual bag preserved on  a glass-encased pedestal. 



Another still life of the doctor's bag.


Notable paintings from the erotica room - a beautiful impressionistic nude, and a painting depicting narcissism.



Here's the view from the 2nd floor, overlooking one of my favourite galleries in the museum.


Monte mayor's beautiful triptych, Swim, Bike, Run.



And this beautiful angelic boy by Sarah Fable Gfeller. I really truly believe that this was how I looked like as a toddler - in my dreams.


Orencio's Daybed and Shade - these were located in the alcove. They almost made me want to buy the lone Orencio that was being sold in the Museum Shop. 



And right next to that alcove where the 2 Orencios were facing each other - a commissioned piece by Daniel dela Cruz, nymphs descending. 


J'adore absolument this painting by Sarah Fable Gfeller, because I will be purchasing on Monday a piece from a student artist of UST a painting with flowing fabrics also. This one is Knot II. 


Elmer Borlongan had an exhibit in the museum which was opened last February 1, 2015 - Labyrinth of Kinship.



Bili na kayo ng Bonsai, Oil on canvas, 2014

Sitting Pretty, Oil on canvas




Aside from the influx of Valentine's Day art enthusiasts, we somewhat got the day going by having Panna Cotta with fresh fruits, and iced teas, that were supposed to have been served in Mason jars, at the new concessionaire for Pinto Cafe, Peppermill. 


Here's a nice snapshot of the bridge leading out of the gallery with indigenous art. And of course, the obligatory selfie. 



Happy Valentine's Day everyone. I hope all of you had a great day!

Pinto Art Museum
1 Sierra Madre Street, Grand Heights Subdivision, 
Antipolo
tel. no. 02.697.1015.
closed on Mondays, otherwise open from 9:00am to 6:00pm


2 comments:

  1. Hi! I am a young art enthusiast (well starting) and I adored this museum. So, I was wondering, how did you get there? How did you commute? Thank you! And I love your blog. More power!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Nice to bump into another enthusiast. I drove to Pinto, and I've been there several times, so I know how to drive there with my eyes closed already :) On commuting there, I did a little research and stumbled upon a blog detailing how to get there:

    From Cubao - take the LRT 2 to Santolan Station. From Santolan Station, you can either take a jeepney bound for either Antipolo (marked Antipolo-Simbahan-Junction or Antipolo-Shopwise), Tanay (marked Tanay-Antipolo) or Teresa. You may also take a UV bound for Antipolo. You then get off at Ynares Center, and then take a trike for Grand Heights Subdivision. The guard of the subdivision would be able to direct you to Pinto (its the first right from the guard house).

    From Ortigas - Take a jeepney or a UV bound for Antipolo. The UV terminal is in Megamall, while the jeepney terminals are in the Greenfield District. Get off at the Ynares Center and take a tricycle going to Grand Heights Subdivision.

    Hope this helps! Feel free to share me the artworks you've acquired, I would love to see them!

    ReplyDelete