Friday, March 6, 2015

Sining Saysay in Gateway Gallery

I had some challenges uploading these, as my internet connection had been spotty the past few days. I had actually already written something with the pictures, when everything got lost in translation in cyberspace and all I had left staring at me was a blank screen.

Nonetheless, I really wanted to share my wonderful experience in Gateway Gallery from last weekend, and since I had already gotten over the initial disappointment for the unmatched effort of having uploaded and written text to accompany the paintings, plus it is the end of another gruelling work week, I am now prepared to embark on writing yet again.




I am quite pleased at a having discovered an art gallery nearby. Thanks to my friend, Nathan Rondina, I learned that Gateway had a gallery on the 5th floor of their tower. Kim and I went there last Saturday. He was, however, expecting a slightly more radical theme to the artworks, but when we got there, it was really more artworks tracing the history of Philippine independence and political maturity.

Reading through the introduction to the exhibit, I noted that there were artworks by Imao and Bencab. The Imao did not disappoint, and I was quite enamoured by its color and composition.

Muslims in the Philippines, Abdulmari Asia Imao
If you look at the piece closely, it looks like it was painted on one large canvas, as all other paintings in the exhibit were all done on large canvasses. However, it turns out to be painted on three separate canvasses, which really got me to thinking if it was intended to be a triptych. 



The Bencab on the other hand turned out to be after Bencab, and not an original one.

Filipinos Experiencing Invasion, from an image by Bencab
I suspect I've seen the original in a museum somewhere, although, this might not have been an exact replica, more of modelled after the theme of the original painting. Regardless, I was quite disappointed, and would have wanted it to have been properly declared.

Another favourite piece of mine was the painting by Jonah Salvosa. I have been acquainted with the works of Jonah Salvosa, as my mother owns two pieces by him. Here is his rather colourful painting.

Galleon Trade, Jonah Salvosa



I am quite sure that my sister would love this painting as well.

I also rather liked the color palette and composition of Simkin de Pio's painting.

Peopling the Philippines I, Simkin de Pio

Another artist I was familiar with in the exhibit was Vincent de Pio. I was able to attend The Art of Making Sushi in San Juan last year. His artwork was irrevocably his, if you've seen his previous works.

Filipino Responses to Spanish Colonization, Vincent de Pio



Kim, on the other hand adored this painting by Randy Solon. He called it Fifty Shades of Grey, because he believed the artist only used white and black oil paint for the artwork.

Pre-Hispanic Philippines, Randy Solon
It was a wonderful exhibit. I must confess, that since there was a time delay in my writing this post from the time that Kim and I went there, I was able to stumble by some blogs who had already written about the exhibit. I found it quite funny that a particular blog whose blog name literally meant that it's a hodge podge of everything posed to know so much about art. I mean, really, if you're going to write about the names of the artists, try to at least read up on them and know their names, right? Mix of everything, you say? More like you mixed up everything. Here's a lesson. "Abdul Mari", is not a different person from "Asia Imao". Please have respect for the artist who had recently passed away. What a fool that blogger is. If you don't know anything about art, don't write about it, eh?

So after that momentary bashing which I could not resist, I'll be leaving you with the other artworks in Sining Saysay.

Pre-Historic Philippines I, Junyee
Pre-Historic Philippines II, Benjie Cabangis
Peopling the Philippines II, Gig de Pio
The West Discovers the Philippines I, Bim Bacaltos
The West Discovers the Philippines II, Ding Hidalgo
Chinese in the Philippines, Janice Young
Breaking Colonial Ties II, Aileen Lanuza
Breaking Colonial Ties I, Romy Mananquil
Woman Empowerment in the Philippines, Grace Alfonso
Re-asserting Independence, Don Artificio
American Betrayal of an Ally, Norman Dreo
The Philippines under the Stars and Stripes, Cris Cruz
Quezon/OsmeƱa Administration, Romy Carlos and Norman Dreo
Occupied Philippines, Julius Samson
Building from the Ashes, Norly Meimban
History of Labor in the Philippines, Neil Doloricon
Quirino Presidency, Romy Carlos and Michael Velasco
Post-War Philippines, Ben Infante
Martial Law in the Philippines, Adi Baen-Santos 
Filipinos Unite to End Martial Law, Angel Cacnio
Ramos/Estrada Administration, Michael Velasco
Restoration of Democracy Continues, Grandier Bella
Philippine Icons and Symbols, Denes Dasco
Philippine Festivals, Romy Carlos
I am unsure up until when the exhibit will be in Gateway Gallery. It was a beautiful exhibit. The location is quite ideal, its in the middle of everything. Here's to hoping they have more exhibits in Gateway. 

They also have a coffee-table book featuring the paintings which was being sold at PhP 1,700.00. If you have time, please feel free to visit and regale in the beauty and colour of Philippine history!




No comments:

Post a Comment