Saturday, August 10, 2013

Rediscovering Cubao, Cubao Expo

On this boring Saturday afternoon, Derek sent me a BBM message wanting us to meet up. Knowing that the horrid EDSA Saturday traffic should be non-existent, I asked him to meet with me in Gateway, as I wanted an alternative place to visit and go to for window-shopping. Bored with the same old mall experience, I was thinking, maybe we can visit Cubao Expo.

Derek picked me up from Gateway, and we made a beeline for HMR Surplus in Araneta first. There were so many cheap finds there. I ended up buying a documentary DVD on Obama for PhP 15.00, an Ashlee Simpson CD for PhP 50.00, and a soul music CD for PhP 9.00. Derek bought the same stuff, and two belts.

Afterwards, we headed for Cubao Expo. Now, this isn't really the first time I've been to Cubao Expo, as growing up, we would visit this place, then called Marikina Shoe Expo, whenever my mother would need custom-made boots for her trips abroad.

The old shoe shops were still there: Janylin, Valentino, Russ. However, there were a number of vintage and curio shops that have opened as well. They sell LP records for PhP 50.00 each, CDS, cassette tapes, Coke memorabilia (heaven!), figurines, vintage clothes... well, basically everything!

Here are some of the shops that had interesting displays:


 This shop had a lot of books, LP records, military memorabilia.


The shop above had categorized their items according to niche. There was a section for Coca-Cola memorabilia, a section for Beatles items, a section for cat figurines, and imported mugs.

I've read up on some of the shops in Cubao Expo online, and I visited the Reading Room.


I wanted to check out some of their vintage clothes, in their Sandy's closet corner - because online you can see that they sell some Uniqlo and Cacharel items, all at PhP 100.00 each. I ended up buying my sister 3 dresses. Of course, my mom stole the 3rd dress and claimed it as her own.


Another reason I wanted to visit their shop was to get a Ninja Plushie. I'm sure this isn't a craze, but I just fell in love with the Ninja Plushies from when I was reading about them online. I think I saw them in The Reading Room's Facebook account. I noticed that no two ninjas are made of the same design. I suppose the makers engage in recycling and make the ninja plushies out of left over cloths, so definitely, no two ninjas will have the same design. Really, I so wanted to adopt one, and promised myself that when I find myself in the area, would look up the shops.

It wasn't difficult to choose which Ninja Plushie I was going to take home. In fact, he was practically jumping off the shelf when he saw me enter. It was love at first sight really. I guess people know already what to expect for Christmas from me.

So everyone, I'd like you to meet Chanel Ninja. Here he is proofreading this article before I post it.


I love The Reading Room's products. Most of them are found items that they recycled. Some are old pieces of clothing that they converted to be useful items again. There was a bag being sold there for only PhP 75.00 and was made of old neckties.

Please feel free to visit Cubao Expo, it still has an old world charm to the place, amidst the redevelopment of Araneta Center. I certainly do hope that they maintain the place, because anybody who grew up in the 80s and 90s would definitely have fond memories of the complex.

Visit The Reading Room. I spoke to the person in the shop, and they're open until 11:00PM. Would love to adopt more Ninja Plushies, they're priced at PhP 125.00 each.

The Reading Room
Shop # 39, Cubao Expo, Gen. Romulo Street, Araneta Center, Cubao, QC





6 comments:

  1. Hi there! I'm Sandy, the owner of The READING ROOM, and I'd like to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for your visit, your patronage, and your glowing recommendation of my shop. I run it together with my husband Gambit. Jorge is the tireless, learned & enthusiastic shop manager.

    I put up The READING ROOM primarily as the venue for my work, that is to read my clients, but the large space made me realize that I could have shelves and display items that I love or have a true interest in - and to upcycle items via the rather awkward & basic crafting skills I have. I'm glad you love the ninjas - I reside half the time in Manila & as much of my time as possible in Baguio - the latter is ukay-ukay country, and collecting vintage clothing at inexpensive prices is an obsession of mine. The clothing aspect of my upcycled items derived first from the veritable mountain of apparel I had accumulated - and the plushies, SkiTiBags (the P75 bags you mentioned made out of skirts & neckties), the wallets - are born from there.

    As the boutique aspect evolved, I resolved to remain true to what I sell - which is to say, things I love or am slightly obsessed about, but to also price them as low as possible, because I can still starkly remember what it felt like to be a student and go about Greenhills and long for but not be able to afford anything I wanted to buy. I want as many people as possible to be able to buy what was in my shop, as well as actually appreciate them.

    Your post truly makes me feel good, and I thank you for it. It's people like you - unafraid to share what you think, to share what you know and have found out - that makes the web world a warm and lovely place to wander around in.

    Thank you again, and be blessed always!



    p.s.
    we are currently in production for more plushies, and you're right - we try to get as varied designs as possible! Happy days to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sandy! I seldom get comments on my blog, and I'm quite touched at what you wrote. Most of the comments I get are in person, from my friends, as this blog really is about things that we experience in our daily routine.

    I really did make it a point to look for the Ninja Plushie in the Reading Room. There was just something about it that made me want one, first read about them when I was hospitalized at the start of the year.

    When I brought the plushie home, my mother wanted one, and started searching online for other plushie designs. We're scheduling heading back to the Reading Room to look for one for her, and I wanted to get another one that I could leave in the car. I was actually even thinking if ever I were to visit Baguio, to look for your shop there and purchase a Ninja Plushie - just so I would have one from Baguio. I am trying to convince my officemates to get a plushie, only for me to realize, maybe I should just gift them one each for Christmas.

    I love the concept of your shop. I love that you upcycle items. I actually almost purchased a SkiTiBag for my sister, but stopped myself as I thought it would be better to let her choose the design that she prefers instead.

    I hope one of these days I get to meet you in The Reading Room. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love Cubao expo! fave place in Cubao!! I always go there before I went home from school, I just love all the stuffs there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I've never been to that part of Cubao for years. I don't know how it looks like but boy, you made me want to go there. In fact, I will. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, how do I go to Cubao Expo from gateway? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete