Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Lunch at Nihonbashitei

I was so involved with playing Creeps! HD on the iPad, I almost wasn't able to post the pictures from today's lunch. Thanks to a difficult level I am unable to complete, I finally gave up on the game and decided to tire myself out by emailing pictures from the iPhone for posting onto the blog.

Is there any easier way to transfer pictures from the iPhone to the laptop? Is it just me or was it easier to sync the pictures from the N8 to the laptop? Synching was usually via a bluetooth link from the phone to the laptop. With the iPhone, I have to email the pictures one by one. Anybody out there, please do advise.

Lunch today was at Nihonbashitei along Arnaiz Avenue. I actually didn't want to eat lunch there because of a horrible experience I had a couple of months back. My officemates and I went to have lunch there, we all ordered, and the food server forgot to put my order in. They were pretty full that day, and the preparation of the food was so slow, so my officemates ended up waiting 20-30 minutes for their orders to arrive, and I ended up waiting for nothing!

Today, I decided to give it another shot, to decide once and for all if this restaurant is worth all the hype. If you often pass by Arnaiz Avenue, turning to Amorsolo Street, you would notice that this restaurant is almost always full during lunch and dinner time. Why? If they can make such an idiotic and stupid mistake as forgetting an order, why would people bother, right?

So this is me giving this restaurant another shot.


Parking in this restaurant is horrible! Honestly, I see their valet staff, and they don't seem trustworthy. The good thing about it, though, is the parking area is open and small, you can watch from inside the restaurant while they park your car. So you would know if the valet staff end up snagging some of the fenders of the other vehicles parked. Seriously, if you're almost always full, ever thought of investing in some smart parking ideas?



A party of four can get one of the private rooms already. Good, because you get to maintain a false sense of privacy. False because the walls are so thin, you can actually hear the conversation of the other group in the other private room. To make matters worse, the private rooms only succeed in making it difficult for the food servers to notice you if you need anything. I suggest they put buzzers used in similarly priced Japanese restaurants (i.e. Mangetsu) inside the private rooms. The frames inside the private room were cute though, so I took a picture of them.


Couldn't decide which sushi to get, or whether I just wanted Uni Sashimi. Their Uni Sashimi was priced at PhP 280.00. I saw that their Chirashi Zushi was priced at PhP 280.00 also, and with a heft serving of Uni Sashimi on it, decided to get that instead. I enjoyed the Chirashi Zushi. It wasn't anything spectacular, wouldn't trade in the fresh seafood you could get from Seryna several meters over, but their serving was pretty hefty making the less than PhP 300.00 bowl quite worth it. Special request, though, add a little more Salmon Sashimi, perhaps? And they easily ran out of Kikkoman, which took several follow-ups for a replenishment.


Brian, my Atenean officemate, ordered the Toro Spicy Maki for his starters. They looked quite appetizing, and was pretty affordable at PhP 200.00. I tried a piece, and it wasn't as good as Isshin's though. It wasn't that spicy. I can be a bit liberal with the wasabi in my Kikkoman, but I don't think it would reach capabilities of masking the spice in this maki. But, sadly, the wasabi overpowered the spicy toro.


Zill, our Chief Engineer who is so fond of "fish" (he pronounces it ever so perfectly with a slight American-accent), was the culprit why we ended up eating in a Japanese restaurant. He was craving for sushi, almost to the point of chanting it before lunch. He did not disappoint though, and ordered the Nigiri Sushi set at PhP 280.00. It looked quite good!


Aaron ordered the Oyakodon, priced at PhP 230.00.


My main course was their Katsudon at PhP 230.00. Brian ordered this as well, I think. Or did he order the Oyakodon? I forget.

The food was okay. Most of what we ordered weren't spectacular. They were quite filling, and their servings were perfect, but they were lacking the wow-factor that I would often expect from eating this type of cuisine. The prices were quite affordable, but frankly speaking, I wouldn't trade these prices for the offerings in Seryna, or Isshin. If I were to add a few pesos more, I might've been floored and overly satiated with a set lunch from Seryna.

What prevents me from enjoying the meal much, also? Their horrible service. The food servers would bang the plates on the table. It would take several follow-ups for Kikkoman, or for spoons, or for forks, or for everything. Yes, I probably am biased since they botched up my order from before, but really, how do you move-on from that particular experience? You get to move on from it, if the food is spectacular, and honestly, what I tried today, didn't really do it in for me. So, no I don't expect any hankering for Nihonbashitei in the near future. And no, I wouldn't really waste time in bringing my family or friends here.

So to answer everybody's question, why is this place full during lunch and dinner? Simple. It might be one of the cheaper, if not the cheapest, Japanese restaurants in the area. Drive on up a bit, and you'd end up in Little Tokyo, where prices may be a bit higher by at most a hundred pesos, but food is definitely better. You do get what you pay for, at the end of the day.

Keep you guys posted for more!

If you don't believe me and want to try the restaurant out for yourself, here's how to get a hold of them:

Nihonbashitei
806 Arnaiz Ave. (formerly Pasay Road)
Makati
telephone number: 02.818.8893

No comments:

Post a Comment