Monday, November 14, 2011

Birthday/Christmas Gift Wants

Still home from the surgery. I should be going back to work by Monday of next week. For this week, since I have near exhausted things to do at home, I will concentrate on deciding what I want to get myself as my birthday/Christmas gift.

Currently, these are the phones that I am using. My Globe work-line is in a Blackberry 9700, awaiting the activation of our Blackberry service.


I am very much happy with the performance of the Blackberry, and have been a loyal Blackberry user for almost two years, one my of previous Blacberries being a white Blackberry Bold 9000, which I absolutely adored. My only issue with my Blackberry is... everybody has one! Blackberry has turned into the new Nokia here in the Philippines.

For my Sun Cellular, I was using a Blackberry until I chanced upon a sale in Globotel Greenbelt 1, where I was able to purchase a Nokia N8 for almost 40% off the list price, 0% installment onto my BDO credit card, at that.


The specs of the phone are great. I love the camera, at 12MP. I don't need to bring a camera wherever I go anymore. If I need to take a quick picture, I just bring out the Nokia, and snap! Oddly enough, it's easier to sync my phone to the laptop via Nokia Suite, compared to Blackberry Desktop Manager.

My only issue with the Nokia is it doesn't have that much accessories. Unlike the Blackberry, or the, *sigh*, iPhone, not a lot of designers try to dress up the Nokia. So, as much as I am happy with the N8's performance, I may need to give this up to my sister pretty soon and get myself a new phone.

So what are my options for a new phone as my annual birthday/Christmas gift to myself? Here's the list, and I hope people reading this can help me out:

1. White Apple iPhone 4/White Apple iPhone 4S


This phone is the most dressed by designers. All the accessories for cellphones I see online are almost for the iPhone. I want one just so I can dress it up like a pooch. What I don't like about it?

a. Everybody has one too. Every Tom, Dick, and Juan dela Cruz riding the cab, jeep, bus, and MRT has one. Where's the exclusivity, then, for a device that's priced astronomically here in the Philippines.

b. It's astronomically priced here in the Philippines! Really, it's being sold for over Php 40,000.00 (for an iPhone 4S) and that's Greenhills price already. It's cheaper in the US, HK, or SG. Which means, if ever I do decide to buy this, I'll have to wait for the next trip abroad and purchase it there. Because even if I were to go to HK just for one day to purchase an iPhone 4S, it'll probably come out cheaper than buying it here in Metro Manila.

And yes, it specifically has to be white, because I want it to match my white iPad 2.

2. Blackberry Torch


The Torch is a good option because the price point is way lower than that of the iPhone. I have had no bad experiences with my previous Blackberries, and trust me, I've used a Blackberry Curve 8520, Curve 8900, Pearl 8100, Curve 8320, World 8800, and a Bold 9000, and I have had no complaints. What's stopping me?

a. For you to enjoy the Blackberry, you need BIS. If my company will activate my 9700's BIS, I don't need another Blackberry with BIS, and all I'll put is my Sun cellular postpaid.

b. Everybody has a Blackberry Torch! Every Tom, Dick, and Juan dela Cruz walking on the sidewalk is toting a Blackberry. Even the crass prostitutes in the P. Burgos area have a Torch. And these people don't even activate their BIS, so what's the point of their having a Blackberry, more so a Torch?

3. Blackberry Bold 9900


This phone is more expensive than the Torch. Plus, I do love the form factor. What's preventing me from getting this model?

a. For you to enjoy the Blackberry, you need BIS. If my company will activate my 9700's BIS, I don't need another Blackberry with BIS, and all I'll put is my Sun cellular postpaid.


b. It's more expensive than the Torch, which means the price point is close to the iPhone 4S already, so why not get the iPhone 4S instead? Not much worried about a lot of people buying this phone, because not a lot of people can afford it, and if they do splurge their life's savings on a phone at that price point, I'm sure they'll get an iPhone instead.

c. I want to wait for this model to come out in white!

4. Acer Iconia Smart


I love this phone because of the screen-size. Its screen is so big, a family of 3 could live in it! And it's made of metal, shiny metal! Love! It will catch so much attention if I'm on a call because it's longer than the usual cellphone, and would go rather well with my slightly longer/larger face. Plus, it's the cheapest phone in my list. So why not buy this very unique phone?

a. It's such a unique phone, I'm sure no one will be making any accessories for it.

b. Repair center? Is there even one available in Manila?

5. HTC Desire HD


Now among all the phones I've listed, this phone has to have one of the best technical specifications. The product's hardware probably has good support here in Metro Manila. The screen real estate is great as well. Resolution is superb. 8MP camera allegedly is one of the best. So what's stopping me?

a. Accessories. No designer has ever come up with a leather holster for an HTC Desire HD. 


So dear readers, if I have any, please help me decide by commenting which phone I should probably get. Thanks a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment