Sunday, December 7, 2014

Mason Jars as Christmas Gifts

This idea actually came from my mother. In one of our Dapitan trips a few weekends ago, she purchased several Mason jars from a stall we frequent for gifts for her secretaries and assistants.

When I had started bringing Christmas gifts to the office this week for my co-managers, I noticed my assistants waiting eagerly for presents. Realising that I forgot to buy something for them, I intended to drag Kim to Dapitan to purchase Mason jars and, basically, steal my mother's concept.

A Mason jar is a molded glass jar used for storing preserves for storage or selling. You normally see these used for home-made jams and jellies that are being sold. They were invented and patented by John Landis Mason, a tinsmith from Philadelphia, back in 1858.

The ones being sold in Dapitan come with the tin lid. They, however, lack the rubber seals, which are needed if you intend to use these for sealing preserves. These would suffice, however, if you're to use them for storage. Mason jars are also used, now, in lieu of mugs. Some hip coffee shops use Mason jars, those designed with handles, for their drinks. Some Mason jar lids already come with holes punched in the centre for straws to go through - these types were actually available for sale in Dapitan.

The ones I purchased had handles and an embossed design on the side. A quick search online, and I saw the exact same Mason jar I had.

borrowed from homewetbar.com
Was able to purchase this at a price lower than Landmark's retail price, which is sweet, especially if you're buying 20 pieces,

My source had an option for gold tin lids, though.

Borrowing from my mom's concept, I filled the Mason jars to the brim with candy from the grocery.


I'll be tying gold and silver ribbons, and these are all ready to be given to the assistants, Finance staff, and Housekeeping supervisors of One Serendra.

I really hope that they start using it in lieu of the mugs that they have in the office.

Mason jars are so the rage right now. And several people will be giving these as gifts this holiday season, which would be a fresh alternative to the usual gift staples given as gifts.

Hope my mom and I gave you a cute Christmas gift idea. Try placing something else instead of candy. Toys, shells, pebbles, jawbreakers, loom bands, scented beads - play around with the things you'll put inside, and the receiver will be in for a surprise. There's really no need to wrap it up, because the vintage look of the Mason jar will jazz up the bottom of the tree perfectly.

A lot of people also collect vintage Mason jars, so visiting Dapitan might be a good idea, since they have so many options there.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! How much were you able to get mason jars for? I also plan to buy in bulk. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Geline, the mason jars with handles I was able to purchase for PhP 50.00 a piece, that was haggled down from PhP 65.00 - I ended up getting around 20 pieces kasi. In my last few trips to Dapitan, they've levelled down their prices to PhP 50.00. In Landmark, they have similar Mason jars which they sell for PhP 50.00 - however, the design of the Mason jars in Landmark are slightly plainer compared to the ones in Dapitan. They also have other variants in Dapitan, by the way. My suki there, Inday, now has supply of actual Bell-Mason jars, but these do not come with handles, I think. Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete