Sunday, December 7, 2014

The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials by James Dashner


I have just recently watched The Maze Runner, while checked in at New World Makati City Hotel. Movie was good, but it just left me with a lot of questions, which I felt would be answered if I had read the book.

First chance I got, I looked into purchasing a box set in Powerbooks Serendra, but since I wasn't familiar with the author, and wasn't sure whether I would like his writing style or not, decided to purchase the first novel instead.

The first novel is The Maze Runner, and at Powerbooks, it costs PhP 359.00. Unfortunately, at the time, I was not able to bring my Powerbooks Card, so I wasn't able to get a discount off of it.

I just finished the first novel a couple of days ago, and I do, in fact like the writing style of James Dashner. It was a good thing I was able to buy the 2nd novel, The Scorch Trials, so there was continuity in my reading.

As expected, there were a lot of details that were not captured in the movie, and things became clearer for me - especially the backstory as to why the Gladers were placed in the maze to begin with.


I'm currently reading through The Scorch Trials, and so far the Gladers are onto another challenge before they can finally discover what their true purpose is. I am quite excited for the movie adaptation to come out by next year, hopefully.

My only regret, though, is that I wasn't really able to follow the true time-sequence in reading the novels. The Maze Runner was published in 2009, The Scorch Trials in 2010, The Death Cure in 2011, and The Kill Order in 2012. The Kill Order, however, is a prequel to The Maze Runner, together with another upcoming novel, The Fever Code, slated for a 2016 release.

Anyway, I'll just end up reading it in the order it was published.

The Scorch Trials I purchased in National Bookstore in Market! Market!, and I got points out of it on my Laking National Card. Glad to report that the novel is cheaper there, it was priced at PhP 349.00.

If you're interested in reading these novels, feel free to check reviews of the series found online. They are quite gripping!

No comments:

Post a Comment